FAQ About Kindergarten at MBE
2020-2021…What you need to know as an incoming kindergartner!
Please visit the MBE website kindergarten page for more detailed information from our kindergarten teachers!
• When does school start? The first day of school for students is August 11th.
• What are school hours? School begins at 7:50 a.m. and ends at 2:50 p.m. The first bell rings at 7:45 a.m. and the second bell rings at 7:50 a.m.. Children arriving after 7:50 a.m. are considered tardy and must have an adult ring the front bell for them to be checked-in. The front door will be the only source of entry and exit beginning at 7:50 a.m. and all other doors will remain locked to begin the school day. For the first week of school only, kindergartners will be released at 2:00 p.m.
• Where do I drop off my child? You will choose which carpool route to use, either Heathermoor (by the tennis courts) or Cambridge (under the porte cochere). Students can be dropped off as early as 7:20 and can go directly to their classrooms beginning at 7:30. More information on carpool can be found on the MBE website or mbelancerpto.com. Fill out the form indicating which route you prefer, and then request a number. Lancer Safety Patrol students will assist children in/out of the cars and will direct drivers where to stop the car. Assistance will be provided to help children find their classrooms.
• Can I walk my child up to school on the first day? Yes, you may walk your child to the front door of the school on his/her first day! Please do not park in a location that will block traffic.
• Will my child nap at school? No, kindergartners do not nap at school.
• When is lunch and how do children buy lunch? Kindergartners usually go to lunch first, around 10:15. Students may bring lunch or can buy a plate lunch and drink from the lunchroom. Students who bring also have the option of just buying a drink from the lunchroom. Each student is assigned a personal lunchroom account number, which is used to record purchased items from the lunchroom. Parents put money into the account digitally through the PayPAMS website.
• Can I eat lunch with my child? Due to COVID restrictions, parents and visitors will not be allowed to eat lunch with their child. Once MBE returns to normal operations, parents are welcome to eat with their child and need to sign-in the front office upon arrival.
• Do children get a snack at school? Kindergarten has snack time each afternoon. Children can bring their own snack, or they can purchase a snack and/or drink from the lunchroom using their lunchroom account number. The lunchroom publishes a snack menu each month. We also encourage the usage of individual, reusable water bottles.
• Can my child celebrate his/her birthday at school? Birthdays are meant to be celebrated! Please contact your child’s teacher directly and they will help you make it a special day for your child. Outside shared food items such as those for birthday celebrations or class parties are prohibited at this time. We will communicate when that restriction has been lifted. In the meantime, the lunchroom staff will have a few options parents can choose from that are individually-wrapped and distributed directly by the CNP team.
• Are there any school parties? The teachers and room moms will update you through email of any class celebrations and how you can help.
• Are there any field trips? During the first nine weeks, school field trips have been postponed until further notice.
• May my child take a backpack to school? Yes, your child may take a backpack to school. We do encourage you to limit the amount of physical items from home being brought into the school at this time.
• What type of shoes are required for PE? Please send your child in close-toed tennis shoes for PE.
• Can I help in my child’s classroom? Currently no visitors will be allowed in the classrooms, but teachers may reach out for help with things you can do at home or that you can send in.
• How can I get involved and support my child’s school? Visit the Lancer PTO website and follow the link to contact a PTO member about how you can get involved. Your class room mom will also send out sign-ups for volunteering during special events throughout the year.
• How do I send money to school? You will be sending money to school at various times. State law imposes strict regulations on money sent to school. Please pay close attention to the instructions when money is requested. Some checks are to be made payable to MBE and some checks are to be made payable to Lancer PTO. If there is an error in the payee on your check, you will be asked to send a corrected check. We ask that when at all possible that digital means be used to exchange funds.
• What are some fun facts about MBE? The Lancer is the school mascot. School colors are red and white. The school’s touchstone/motto is “Lancers Lead from the Heart”.
• What is the history of Mountain Brook Elementary? Mountain Brook Elementary School first opened its doors to students in 1929. As the oldest existing public school in the Mountain Brook area, Mountain Brook Elementary enjoys a rich history of community support and educational excellence. With an enrollment of more than 500 students in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade, MBE celebrates over 90 years of service to the community.
• Who makes up the administrative teams at MBE? Our Principal is Ashley McCombs. Brannon Aaron is the Assistant Principal. Adam Craiger is the bookkeeper. Ginger Hollingsworth is the Secretary/Registrar. Each of these individuals is very helpful with answering any questions you may have about the life of school at MBE.
• How do I contact the school? The MBE office number is 205-871-8191. Put it in your cell phone! The Mountain Brook Schools urgent hotline number is 205-414-6025.
• Are there any school fundraisers? MBE will continue with its one and only major fundraising event called Lancer Sponsor. It is a check-writing campaign that begins late July and ends early September. For more information, click here.
• What else do I need to know? During these uncertain times, we know it can be challenging especially for our kindergarten students and parents who may be new to the school. The administration, staff, teachers, and Lancer PTO are here to help guide you. Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns. We will get through this time together!